Microsoft SharePoint is one of the most widely used platform for collaboration and document management. The current version of SharePoint i.e. SharePoint 2010 which was released 2 years back is now being used by 65 million users across the globe. From this, it is implied how SharePoint is popular with organizations when it comes to collaboration, managing communications, documents, and content.
SharePoint 2010 is an improved version of SharePoint 2007 which lacked many functionalities and features. There features are now added in SharePoint 2010 to provide better experience to users. However, the 2010 version also has started showing its age and clouds of shortcomings and critics have also started surfacing over the time. Among the shortcomings, experts say that SharePoint 2010 has only simple social-networking features, weak support for smartphones and tablets, and requires considerable expansion for customized apps. Moreover, despite having significant advances in business intelligence (BI), SharePoint 2010 still lacks improved integration with back-end systems. To address these issues, Microsoft is planning to release a better version of SharePoint namely SharePoint 15 by the end of this year or first quarter of 2013.
The new SharePoint is expected to have improved functionalities in terms of development and integration. Besides this, SharePoint 15 is going to include many more intelligent features which will evolve collaboration and document management function.
Here’s a sneak-peek of SharePoint15 which is still in the pipeline.
The new SharePoint will include:
- Client Object Model (COM), to help UI designers and front-end developers in developing compelling visual interfaces
- App store or App Marketplace which will support multi-tenant installation to make applications available to several customers
- SharePoint Education module for educating users
- Workflow looping in SharePoint Designer to eliminate the need for Visual Studio development environment
- OAuth 2.0 to provide cross-platform authentication
- Minimal Download Strategy to help websites consume less bandwidth than sites with traditional technologies
- SharePoint Online with functions like Apple IPad support, Metro Style Interface, Rights Management Services, Web apps
These are all the features which will grace SharePoint15. Along with the above features, one will also see better social networking interface, improved mobile support and integration facilities.